About Me

My photo
A mom, a grandma, and a sexy beast (ok just a beast before my first cup of coffee)

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bad Book Etiquette

I have been enjoying reading How Will It End's blog, and she has posted a few entries on books she has read. Another blog that posts on books is Hot Lunch. I love to read, but I have been told I have a bad habit that is disrepectful to fellow readers everywhere. No, I don't lick my fingers to turn pages, I don't bend corners to mark my place, what I do is supposidley soooo much worse. I read the BACK OF THE BOOK FIRST!!! (wipes brow, wow, that took alot to admit). I read enough at the beginning to find out who is who, what is what, where is where, then I jump to the back to find out who dies, who lives, and who-dun-it. (yes, I read mysteries alot). When Harry Potter came out, it was released in England before Canada, so there I was online 8 hours ahead of our release times, and looking for spoilers as fast as people could blog them. I still read the books, but I like to know the ending. What if I get hit by a bus before finishing a book? How would I ever know the ending then? I do the same with movies by the way, there are a few movie sites that post spoilers, or just the endings. Before watching anything, I look up what is going to happen and how it will end. It doesn't take away any enjoyment for me, but it does for anyone unfortunate enough to be watching with me. If, for some horrible reason, I can't find a spoiler, I drive people insane asking, "will he live", "what happens to her?". I watch movies alone alot, lol. This obession may have two different beginnings. First, Bambi, which had a death I never saw coming, in a cartoon of all things! Then there was the book Anne of Green Gables, another unexpected death! I vowed never to have that happen again! Is my habit really so bad? Will it change the world as we know it? I don't think so. Will it make my friends want to gag me before watching a movie with me? Yes, but that's ok, it will cut down on my snack bill at the theatre.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't read books backwards, but I like to read the newspaper that way! :-)

Unknown said...

I don't see how this could possibly be harmful or disrespectful if you don't blurt out the ending to others. If you keep it a secret, that just satisfies your need to know, then so what?

But, I really hate it when someone tells me the ending.

Anonymous said...

I don't tell anyone the ending, unless of course they ask, but it drives them nuts that I do it. I understand for most people it is the journey of getting from beginning to end that makes it so enjoyable. Oddly enough when it comes to real life, I like surprises. I love to watch a hockey game, will my beloved Canucks win/lose, I hold my breath like every other fan out there for the outcome. The cheers, the tears, all part of the fun. As I mentioned, I blame it all on Bambi,, lol.

Talina said...

I totally fold book pages, sometimes my cats even push the book right in to the bath tub.

It is funny that you read books backwards so to speak. Tell me does that ruin the fun?

Donna B. said...

You would probably love the novel "Chiefs" by Stuart Woods. You know from the beginning pretty much what was done and who did it, but the book covers 3 police chiefs over 40 years trying to find out.

It's been 20 years or so since I read it, so that tells you the impact it had.

Stuart Woods hasn't since come out with one that matches it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could read a book or watch a movie that way. Now, if I accidentally find out a spoiler, I'm ok with it. Funny thing though, I love to know what's going to happen on my TV shows. I'm totally ok with knowing who's going to die, have sex or whatever...but not for a book or a movie.

We can be weird together:)

Anonymous said...

I hope all is good with you.. miss your blogging. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving, Nuck! :-)

Brand New W said...

lol, my ex used to do that!!! he'd flip to the end and i'd freak out at him!