I felt rather foolish when the Olympics came to town, I didn't realize that although Canada has hosted twice before (one summer, one winter) we had NEVER won a gold on home soil.. well, as of now we have 4 !!!! I have been downtown twice, it was insane but fun! I don't do well in crowds, not because of any phobia, but because I am so protective of my shoulder getting jostled. It got a little overwhelming a few times, getting swept away with a crowd going in a direction AWAY from the hotdog stand,, lol,, but overall I did quite well. Skytrain is quite an adventure, you get your normal drunks and druggies, and then the mix of every nationality immaginable, with random national anthems being belted out. I really do understand when people say they are proud to be Canadian, and the unity being felt here is something I have never experienced in my lifetime, but I am also proud to be a human being, because beneath the painted faces, the flags being worn as capes, the singing and cheering, the smiles and tears of joy, we have come together as people. We gasp at the wipeouts, no matter what country, we cheer for the podium, no matter what flag is being raised, we as a world were saddened by the death of the 21 year old luger who died on a practise run. Someone said on tv they can only hope these feelings of togetherness and support can last after this month, and I think I cheered more for that statement than any gold we have won so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment