About Me

My photo
A mom, a grandma, and a sexy beast (ok just a beast before my first cup of coffee)

Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Great Divide!

Mine is truly a family divided this year... four generations and none of us are together this Christmas morning! My mom and I live on the mainland, my daughter and granddaughter live on the island. Since moving back here, this will be my third Christmas 'off the rock'. My family converges at my brothers for the afternoon, and of course my daughter and granddaughter are together over there. This year, because of road conditions, my mom won't be making the trip to my brother's, so we will not see each other today. That is two out of four not together. On the island, as I mentioned in an earlier post, "T" made it home on Monday. As of Wednesday she was at her dad's (also on the rock) and it was decided by her mom and dad that she could stay there for Christmas, so mother and daughter there are also not together. That officially makes it four out of four of us not together. "T" will have a great time at her dad's, it is the first time he has wanted her for Christmas, and she has four half siblings through him, so for her, a Christmas morning with all those kids will be amazing! I am proud of my daughter because she could have said no, but she realized how much it meant and put her childs feelings first. That is the Christmas spirit! My daughter's boyfriend has a little boy that he will be picking up later in the day, so they are going to do Christmas morning tomorrow instead. It is their first Christmas together, and my daughter is cooking a turkey for the very first time, I am really excited for her. A new relationship, a new start to new Christmas traditions, and hopefully no trips to the hospital from her first turkey! Even though none of us are together, I am happy. My family is safe and sound, in good health, with their loved ones, and they have even more loved ones waiting to see them. We are together in our hearts, and right now that is good enough for me!
On a sadder note, there are still people stranded at Vancouver airport that have been there since Monday trying to fly to their family for the holidays. They interviewed one man who had been there since then, and was hoping to fly to Australia. He was possibly going last night, if the filght wasn't cancelled again! He said they would literally miss Christmas Day, as the time difference is so drastic, they would not land until Boxing Day! How wierd is that?
On that note, to everyone near and far, together or apart, have a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

Talina said...

I hope you are having a nice relaxing holiday also! We have no snow so it is weird here. Also we are spending our first Christmas away from our entire family since moving 1800 miles away.

We are happy to be together and it is a good day but being apart is also hard.

Anonymous said...

This is my second Christmas since my mom moved to Maine and I really hate that. Its just not the same. But, I am thankful for my husband and kids and to be able to spend the day with them.

I hope that you and yours had a very Merry Christmas!