About Me

My photo
A mom, a grandma, and a sexy beast (ok just a beast before my first cup of coffee)

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I lost myself and loved it!

I love books, not just to read, but to look at. I do love reading, but there is something about a book that is either very very new, or very very old that just gets my blood going! I would love to work in a library. I have no desire to work in a book store, where it is all about the dollar, but a library is there for people who love to read, not find that last minute gift. Sorry if that sounds mean against book store employees out there, but, that is me. Last week, I went for a walk, I was stressed and needed to clear my head, walking is one of the best ways for me to think, and or calm down. I found myself at the library, which I go to once a week anyways, but this time was different. They have a 'section', it has coffee/tea, snacks, and some tables and couches. Kinda like the little coffee shop on Friends, but with waaaaaaaay more old people,, lol. Anyways, for whatever reason, I bought a coffee, grabbed some books on subjects I NEVER look at, and completely lost myself for an afternoon. I tend to read the same kind of stuff, murder mystery/suspence. I read alot of the same authors, tried and true kinda stuff. In this case though, I just grabbed random stuff, one book for example was on magic tricks, and sipped, and read, and broused, and sipped, and learned, and lost myself. It was wonderful to dissapear into a whole different world, I had forgotten how to do that since I was a kid. I think I am going to make a habit of losing myself, maybe not once a week, but at least once a month. Kinda like sticking a pin in a map and traveling there, I will 'stick a pin' in a book, and travel there instead. As a bonus, the coffee really was good too! Who knows, next time I might really go wild, and drink tea!

7 comments:

Talina said...

It sounds like that was just what you needed, kudos to you!

I am the complete opposite I have to stay busy and productive or I feel guilty. I can't sit and just be... :-(
When I write I really get thinking and am able to sort stuff out but I only write on my computer so I am often multitasking as I write. I think I should take your lead and try to loose myself.

Anonymous said...

That is why it took going out to get lost. When I am home, I can't relax!

Anonymous said...

If I'm at home, I have a hard time just sitting still and vegging out. I always feel like I should be doing something. But, there is nothing better than losing yourself in something you love doing for a couple of hours every now and again. This reminds me, I want to go to the library...

lupingirl said...

Sounds like a great library!

Thanks for the snow flurries by the way. I really needed that today!

Donna B. said...

I'm so jealous of your library! Actually buying a cup of coffee there? I can't even bring one into our library.

So, I sorta do what you describe except in Barnes & Noble. Sometimes I feel a slight tinge of guilt after reading several hours and not buying a book, but then I remember I bought the coffee :-)

I'd much rather do it in a library because most of the books in B&N are too new.

Unknown said...

I found a bookstore in Flagstaff that sells old books, or "used" books. I enjoy reading something that I know someone else has also read, just sort of makes for continuity, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

I love the feel of a well worn paperback, to think of all the people who have turned those pages (good thing I am not a germaphobe eh?), and of course the icing on the cake is meet someone, have the subject of books come up, and find out they read the same one! Some books though (Harry Potter comes to mind) I have bought the series new as it came out. I will be passing the set down to my granddaughter at some point.