About Me

My photo
A mom, a grandma, and a sexy beast (ok just a beast before my first cup of coffee)

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pass it on, pass it down!

If you could only pass one thing down to the next generation, (daughter/son/niece/nephew) what would it be? When my parents were married, soooooo many moons ago, they were given a beautiful handcrafted Chinese chest. When my brother and I were young, we used to get in trouble for rolling marbles along the intricate carvings on the top, and jumping off of it. On one of my mom's MANY moves back to England, I was given the chest. When my daughter was small, what did I catch her doing?? Oh yes,, rolling marbles,, I didn't even know we had marbles, but she had found some,, and roll baby roll! She upped it a notch and also found matchbox cars did amazing spins along the top as well. Well, the chest is now hers, marble and car scratches intact. Now her daughter,,, wait for it.... HAS ROLLED MARBLES AND JUMPED OFF IT!!! I am thinking there is a marble magnet hiding inside somewhere, we are afraid of lead from China, I am worried about a marble magnet conspiricey. There isn't even anything in it that is meaningful. My mom wanted it to be a 'hope chest'. My only hope was nobody would grow so big they broke the lid standing on it before outgrowing the jump faze. So back to the question, this is the one thing above all else I want to see passed down for generations to come. What would you pick?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Since I sold everything I owned and began a life as a gypsy 8 years ago, I would say that I would want my children to grasp that sense of adventure and never let it go. I want them to keep their sense of humor, their quest for knowledge, and a yearning for travel. If they do that, then they would carry on just like their dear old mother.

Donna B. said...

That's not really an easy question. Like Karen, I want to pass on intangible qualities, my choices being an appreciation of family and history. And nobody gets along too well without a sense of humor!

But, if I had to pick a tangible item, it would be my great-grandmother's cast-iron skillet. It's going to my youngest daughter, because she's the one who likes to cook.

Talina said...

I'll leave my engagement ring/ wedding ring to a child of our (when we have some)... That is the only worthwhile thing I've got right now.

However, I did get an old antique coffee table and a fun cake dome/ serving platter thingy from my mom. My brother and I would lay on and jump off that old coffee table... It has a ton of history for me but others would think it is nothing special.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have to think about this one. Off the top of my head I really can't think of anything, other than certain pieces of jewelry.